Epoxy Resin is a type of glue that has become very popular over the last decade. It is widely used in construction, automotive repair, and other industries.
Epoxy Resins are also known as polymers because they consist of long chains of molecules that are linked together. These links are called bonds.
Epoxy resins are usually classified into two types: organic and inorganic. Inorganic epoxies are generally less expensive than their organic counterparts. They are also harder and stronger. Organic epoxies are more flexible and easier to apply.
Organic epoxies are typically much cheaper than their inorganic counterparts. They are also softer and more pliable.
This makes them ideal for applications where flexibility is required such as adhesives, coatings, sealants, and potting compounds.
Inorganic epoxies are made from bisphenol A (BPA), which is an ingredient found in many plastics. BPA can be toxic if ingested or absorbed through the skin. However, it is not harmful when mixed with epoxy resins.
But How Do You Know What Kind Of Epoxy Resin To Use?
There are several factors you should consider before choosing your epoxy resin. The first factor is whether the material will be exposed to moisture.
If so, then choose one that contains no water-based solvents. Water-based solvents may cause the epoxy resin to swell or dissolve.
Another important consideration is the temperature at which the epoxy resin is applied. You need to make sure that the temperature does not exceed 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
Otherwise, the epoxy resin could start to cure prematurely.
You should also check the shelf life of the product. Make sure that it is still good after six months. Some epoxy resins have a shelf life of up to 18 months.
But where can you find the best epoxy resins for your craft projects? How can you find one that you know is safe to use and won't give you any issues?
Which epoxy resins are safe to use around children? What materials should epoxy resins be made from? How much should you have to pay for a decent epoxy resin?
Well, if you are looking for answers to these questions and a whole lot more, then we would suggest that you keep reading.
We have compiled a list of some of the best epoxy resins that you can currently get on the market, along with a buyer's guide that will help you identify what exactly it is you need.
Best Epoxy Resins
OUR TOP PICK
OUR TOP PICK
This kit comes with everything you need to get started using Nicpro 16 ounce epoxy resin.
It includes a mixing cup, stirring rod, funnel, brushes, and airtight container.
The product itself is easy to mix and uses standard household ingredients.
It is designed for both indoor and outdoor use. Because of this, it is suitable for most applications.
It is non-toxic, odorless, and biodegradable. It is also non-flammable.
It has a shelf life of 3 years.
- Easy to use - this is very simple to apply to your crafts, all you have to do is open the bottle and apply it to your project. This even comes with droppers that you can use to measure out how much epoxy you want.
- Non-toxic - this will not poison you or cause you any irritation, especially on your lungs or the surface of your skin.
- Odorless - this will not leave any nasty odors that will linger around your house. Some epoxy resins can really stink up your house, but this product won't.
- Biodegradable - If you are a little bit more environmentally conscious, then we would recommend picking up this epoxy paint. It contains no VOCs or harmful chemicals and will degrade naturally.
- Not very strong - this might have a problem gluing some of your hardest materials together such as wood or plastic.
- Does not last long - this will start to degrade pretty quickly after use, so we would recommend that you only use this for smaller crafts projects.
This kit comes with a variety of different colors of epoxy resin. It has a wide range of colors that you can choose from.
The color selection includes clear, white, black, red, blue, green, yellow, purple, orange, pink, brown, gray, silver, gold, copper, bronze, and brass.
You can use this epoxy resin for a variety of different purposes including jewelry making, painting, sculpture, and many other types of crafting.
This product is great because it allows you to create beautiful pieces without having to spend hours sanding down your work.
You can simply put it in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 C) for about 10 minutes and then let it cool off completely before moving on the minutes to harden it.
- Wide Color Selection - this product offers a large number of colors that you can pick from. There are over 20 different colors available.
- Great Value - this is one of the cheapest kits on our list. For just $10, you can purchase this kit which will allow you to make several pieces of jewelry.
- Does Not Last Long - this product does not last very long. We suggest that you only use this once or twice before replacing it with another kit.
- Does Not Come With Dropper - this kit doesn't come with any type of measuring device. If you're looking for something that will help you get an exact amount of epoxy resin, then this is not the best option for you.
This epoxy resin is specially made for artists who need a high-quality product that will last them a long time.
This product also comes with a dropper that will help you get the perfect amount of epoxy resin every single time.
It's easy to apply and will dry within seconds. Once it dries, it becomes extremely durable and will be able to withstand extreme temperatures.
- High-Quality Product - this is a professional-grade product that is designed to last. It's made out of high-quality ingredients that won't break down easily.
- Easy To Use - this product is super simple to use. All you have to do is add water and mix it into the epoxy resin until it turns into a smooth paste.
- Not Very Strong - this product isn't very strong. It's recommended that you don't glue anything too heavy together using this product.
- Doesn't Last Long - this product doesn't last very long. We recommend that you only use it once or twice before replacing it with another kit.
This epoxy resin comes in a clear bottle so you can see exactly how much you've used. It's ideal if you want to create some really nice art pieces.
The main benefit of this product is that it's incredibly easy to use.
Simply pour the liquid into a container and mix it up until it becomes a thick paste. Then, you'll be ready to start creating!
- Clear Bottle - this product comes in a clear bottle that makes it easier to see how much you have left.
- Easy To Apply - this product is very easy to apply. Just follow the instructions on the package and you should be good to go.
- Affordable - this is one of the cheapest epoxies that you can get on the market. This is great for small projects where you want to keep the costs to a minimum.
- Expensive - this product costs quite a bit more than other products on our list. However, we think that it's worth the money as it has many benefits.
- Doesn't Dry Quickly - this product takes a little while to dry. So, if you're planning on making multiple projects, make sure that you let your project sit for at least 15 minutes after applying the epoxy resin.
This epoxy resin works by combining the aluminum powder with water.
The end result is a mixture that looks like concrete but is actually a lot stronger.
You simply mix the two components together until they form a solid mass.
You can then apply it directly onto any surface that needs a protective coating.
- Stronger Than Concrete - this product is much stronger than regular concrete. It's even stronger than cement.
- Super Easy To Use - all you have to do is combine the two parts and wait for it to set. It's super easy to apply and should take no longer than 10 minutes.
- Great value for money - if you are looking to embark upon plenty of crafts projects, then we would certainly recommend that you get this brand of epoxy. Although the product is still expensive.
- Easy application - all you have to do is apply the epoxy to the surface and wait for the curing period to kick in.
- Costs A Lot More Than Other Products - this product costs a lot more than most others. However, it does offer a lot of advantages over other products.
- Doesn't Hold Up Well Over Time - this product will not hold up well over time. If you need something that will last for years, we suggest looking at our recommendations instead.
This epoxy resin kit contains everything that you need to create beautiful items out of wood or metal.
It includes an epoxy resin, a hardener, a brush, a mixing bowl, a spatula, and a measuring cup.
All of these things are needed to ensure that your project turns out perfectly.
The best part about this product is that it comes with a lifetime guarantee.
In case there are any problems down the line, just contact the manufacturer and they will replace it free of charge.
- Lifetime Guarantee - this product comes with a lifetime warranty so you know that you'll always receive the same quality from them.
- Good Value For Money - this product is priced fairly well. We feel that it offers good value for money.
- Simple Application Process - this product is very simple to use. Simply add the resin and hardener into the mixing bowl and stir thoroughly. Then, apply the mixture to the item that you wish to coat.
- Not Suitable For Wood Projects - this product isn't suitable for wood projects. As it requires a different type of material to be used when creating wooden items.
- Expensive - this product costs a fair amount of money. However, we feel that it provides excellent value for money as it has a lifetime guarantee.
If you're looking for a high-quality epoxy resin that will work on almost anything, then we highly recommend getting this one.
This epoxy resin is perfect for creating decorative pieces such as vases, bowls, and plates.
It also works great for making jewelry boxes, picture frames, clocks, and many other types of craft projects.
We love how versatile this product is because it allows you to make a wide variety of items.
Plus, it's incredibly strong which makes it ideal for creating long-lasting pieces.
We think that this is a fantastic product that anyone can purchase.
The only downside is that it costs quite a bit more than some of the other options available.
- High-Quality Product - this product is made by a reputable company that produces a range of high-quality products. This means that you can rest assured knowing that you're using a top-notch product.
- Wide Variety Of Craft Projects - this product is perfect for crafting a wide variety of projects. You can use it to create all sorts of items including jewelry boxes, picture frames and clocks.
- Easy To Use - this product is extremely easy to use. There aren't too many steps involved in applying it to the item that you want to cover.
- Expensive - this is definitely not the cheapest option available. However, we still think that it's worth every penny.
- Not Suitable For Wooden Items - this product is not suitable for creating wooden items. If you plan on using it to create wooden items, then we suggest purchasing something else instead.
When choosing an epoxy resin, it's important to consider what kind of project you want to do.
What Is Your Project?
Some people prefer to use epoxies for their furniture while others prefer to use them for their home decor.
What Type Of Epoxy Do You Need?
There are two main kinds of epoxies: clear and opaque. Clear epoxies allow light through the piece whereas opaque ones block out light.
What Material Will You Be Coating?
The most common application for epoxies is for coating metal or plastic. They can be used to protect against scratches and dents.
However, they can also be used to create beautiful artistic designs. Many artists use them to paint on glass and ceramics.
Epoxies are also commonly used for making jewelry. People often use them to coat rings, necklaces, bracelets, etc. They can even be used to create custom watches.
What Colors Do You Need?
Epoxies come in a wide variety of colors. Most epoxies have a transparent appearance but there are some that look like oil paints.
How Much Do They Cost?
The price of your epoxy might determine what type you get. If you are wanting to glue or seal a lot of things, then you might want to save money by buying in bulk.
You can find epoxies at your local hardware store or online. We've found that Amazon is a good place to buy from.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Are Some Uses For Epoxy Resins?
Epoxy resins are great for protecting wood surfaces. They can be used as a protective layer between two kinds of wood. It can also be used to coat the wood to prevent it from getting scratched.
How Can You Make Jewelry With Epoxy Resin?
Epoxies can be used to make jewelry such as rings, earrings, pendants, etc. They can also be used to make key chains, bracelets, etc.
How Long Does An Epoxy Last?
The life span of an epoxy depends on how well you apply it. If you apply it properly, then it will last much longer.
Where Can You Find Epoxy Resins? Do They Come In Different Sizes?
Epoxide resins can be found at your local hardware store. If you're looking for a specific size, then you should check with the manufacturer.
Our Final Say
We hope that our article helped you understand more about epoxy resins. We know that these products can seem complicated at first glance. But once you start using them, you'll see why they're so popular!
Remember that you'll need to consider what project you are going to embark upon before you buy your epoxy.
If you are doing something small-scale, then we would definitely recommend that you only get something affordable that you can apply gradually.
The type of job that you're doing will determine the amount of epoxy that you'll be using.