Red Velvet Cookies:
- 4 oz unsalted butter, softened (1 stick)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 oz. red food coloring
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Icing:
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened (brick cream cheese, not whipped)
- 4 oz unsalted butter, softened
- 1 lb confectioners’ sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Cookies with Red Velvet Filling:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine the butter, oil, and sugars in a mixing bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
- One at a time, add the eggs, mixing well after each addition.
- Mix in the food colouring and buttermilk until fully combined.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa, salt, and baking soda in a separate dish.
- Slowly stir in the flour mixture until it is completely mixed.
- Mix in the vinegar, then the vanilla extract until everything is well blended. Do not overmix the ingredients.
- Scoop the mixture onto the prepared baking sheets (I use a 1 1/2 tablespoon ice cream scoop) (12 per sheet).
- Bake for 8 minutes, rotating once halfway through, or until cookies are firm. Allow cookies to cool slightly on the pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Before filling the cookies, make sure they are absolutely cool.
- Continue with the remaining batter.
Filling: Cream Cheese:
- With an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter until frothy, about 2 minutes on medium/high speed.
- Gradually stir in the confectioners’ sugar, making sure everything is properly combined.
- Mix in the vanilla extract until it’s well blended.
Make the Whoopie Pies:
- Spread about 2 tablespoons of filling on one cookie, then top with another. Repeat with the remaining cookies, pressing lightly together.